CHORI is the internationally renowned biomedical research institute of Children's Hospital and Research Center at Oakland. With over 350 world-class scientists and an annual budget of over $50 million, CHORI was most recently ranked 8th in the nation for National Institutes of Health pediatric research funding. Please refer to our 2011 CHORI Annual Report (PDF) for a closer look at our institute.
Bridging basic science and clinical research in the treatment and prevention of human disease, CHORI is a leader in translational research. During the last 50 years, CHORI has provided cures for debilitating blood diseases and cancers, developed new vaccines for infectious diseases, and discovered new treatment protocols for previously fatal or debilitating conditions.
- Children with blood disease and cancers cured through our innovative transplantation research program.
- The 1st cure of alpha thalassemia major in North America.
- The world's most comprehensive sickle cell disease and thalassemia centers.
- The largest global resource of recombinant DNA libraries.
- The world's only non-profit sibling donor cord blood program.
- Established the Children's Global Health Initiative, bringing together the worlds leading medical and scientific minds to collaborate in alleviating the suffering of the world's children.
Providing the highest standard of excellence and innovation, CHORI brings together a multidisciplinary collaborative of distinguished investigators in eight different Centers of Research:
- Center for Cancer Research
- Center for Critical Care Medicine
- Center for Genetics
- Center for Immunobiology & Vaccine Development
- Jordan Family Center for Blood & Marrow Transplantation & Cellular Therapies Research
- Center for Nutrition & Metabolism
- Center for Prevention of Obesity, Cardiovascular Disease & Diabetes
- Center for Sickle Cell Disease & Thalassemia
Among the leading biotech enterprises in the Bay Area, CHORI has had over 86 patents issued and over 200 inventions disclosed. In addition to providing world-class research, CHORI is also a teaching institute, offering unique educational opportunities to high school, college, doctoral and post-doctoral students. A collaborative nexus for innovative research and learning with global impact, CHORI is at the forefront of basic and clinical research that strives to change the world one patient at a time.
Please visit the CHORI Timeline for a snapshot of CHORI's accomplishments during the last half century.