Pulmonology & Respiratory Care
The Pulmonary & Respiratory Care Department at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland provides a full range of
respiratory care services for teens, children, and newborns. With
subspecialties in neonatal and pediatric respiratory critical care, transport, and ventilation, asthma care, pediatric pulmonary rehabilitation, and studies in sleep and
pulmonary function, we're considered one of the leading pediatric
hospitals in Northern California for comprehensive respiratory care. And
because our advanced respiratory care research, studies,
and development are related to new technology and treatments, we can to help your
child breathe easily and safely.
Why Families Choose Us
Routine, Preventative, and Complex Pulmonary Care
- The pediatric pulmonologists and staff at the Division of Pulmonary Medicine treat children with a broad range of breathing or respiratory health problems from birth through age 21.
- Treatment options range from complex surgical and chronic respiratory support to primary and preventative care related to persistent coughs and seasonal disorders.
- Premature infants with chronic lung damage and respiratory distress syndrome, bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Working closely with our neonatologists in our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit we develop the best treatment plan.
- Pediatric asthma: Your child or infant with asthma is treated collaboratively with Immunology and Allergy.
- Cystic fibrosis (CF): CF is one of the most common—and serious—genetic (inherited) diseases. It is a chronic disease that currently has no cure. Our nationally certified Cystic Fibrosis Center is one of the largest programs in Northern California to care for children with cystic fibrosis.
- Respiratory allergies: Expert diagnostic, therapeutic and consultative care for children with respiratory allergies, exercise-induced asthma and acute or chronic allergies or infections that affect breathing.
Inpatient and Outpatient Breathing Support
- Children’s team of sub-specialty trained pediatric pulmonologists and ENT (otolaryngologists) work together to evaluate patients and treat them in a child-focused setting.
- Additional support in the form of asthma education, RSV prevention, and a home ventilator program ensure that children receive the best possible care both in and out of the hospital setting.
Advanced Respiratory Care When You Need It Most
- Our respiratory care services team is comprised of more than 50 respiratory therapists with advanced training in pediatric respiratory care.
- These respiratory care professionals offer the most innovative, state-of-the-art respiratory care technology available, and are available in the hospital 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Where Technology and Personalized Care Meet
- Because breathing and respiratory health problems can range from asthma or recurrent coughs to complex bronchopulmonary conditions, we assess each patient using our multidisciplinary, one-on-one approach.
- For complex cases, the comprehensive pulmonary function laboratory provides advanced pulmonary function testing using minimally-invasive procedures designed to ease your child’s fears and discomforts.
Pulmonary Function Laboratory Facilities
- Our comprehensive pulmonary function laboratory provides advanced pulmonary function testing using minimally-invasive procedures designed to ease your child’s fears and discomforts.
- In the pediatric pulmonary function testing facility, Sensormedics and Jaeger equipment allow us to test the lung function of small infants and toddlers to help diagnose abnormalities in lung function at a very early age. This equipment also helps us follow patient response to medication.
Pediatric Sleep Laboratory
- Children's Hospital Oakland pediatric-registered polysomnographers provide the service sleep studies for inpatients who need evaluation of sleep-disordered breathing apnea and disordered control of ventilation.
- The Children’s Hospital Oakland team of subspecialty-trained pediatric pulmonary and ENT (otolaryngologists) physicians work with our staff of registered polysomnographers to evaluate patients with sleep-disrupted breathing.
Nationally Certified Cystic Fibrosis Clinic
- UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland is certified for cystic fibrosis (CF) care both nationally through the CF Foundation, and at the state level through California Children’s Services (CSS).
- We are a site for multicenter research in pediatric CF.
Neonatal Pulmonary Resources and Ventilation Systems
- Children’s Hospital Oakland is a leading provider of neonatal breathing support, including transport services and emergency neonatal respiration that includes regular, HFOV, and jet ventilation systems.
- A specialty Synagis Clinic at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland provides RSV prophylaxis, using Synagis, an FDA-approved monoclonal anti-RSV antibody, to help prevent respiration problems in at-risk infants and toddlers.
Asthma Program and Additional Home Resources
- Our home ventilator program helps facilitate the management of patients who require chronic respiratory support at home.
- The Asthma Program offers asthma education in the community through outreach programs, school visits, and classes for patients and families dealing with problems related to asthma.
Related Departments / Services