Offering eye care, clinical testing, and secondary care for children with visual impairments. The Ophthalmology Department at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland provides a full spectrum, on-site, multidisciplinary pediatric eye care center for coordinated diagnosis and treatment of children and teens eye disorders.
Children's Ophthalmology uses the latest diagnostic techniques and equipment adapted just for children. Our pediatric ophthalmologists have the experience and expertise to provide exceptional eye care for children of all ages in an environment that is comforting.
Conditions and Treatments
Our goal as pediatric ophthalmologists is to help kids reach their full potential. Our team's only focus is the unique eye care needs of children--from the youngest children who can’t tell us what they see, to those getting their first pair of glasses.
Our pediatric ophthalmologists are board-certified and fellowship-trained
, meaning they have completed a residency in pediatric ophthalmology and are specially trained in pediatric eye care. We help your child achieve the best vision possible.
Conditions treated include:
Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Corneal and Conjunctival tumors
- Eye diseases related to prematurity
- Eye muscle surgery
- Eyelid and orbital reconstructive surgery
- Intraocular lens
- Laser retina surgery
- Lens replacement operations
- Pediatric glaucoma
- Pediatric Neuro-ophthalmology
- Refractive surgery
- Retinal disease
- Retinopathy of prematurity
Why Families Choose Us
Convenient Pediatric Vision Care
- The Eye Clinic at Children’s Hospital Oakland evaluates and treats all eye problems in children from infancy through adolescence.
- For your convenience, we schedule consultation and eye care appointments at our outpatient clinics in Oakland and San Ramon which are listed above.
Advanced Medical and Surgical Support
- Medical and surgical treatment options are available for eye diseases and vision corrective issues. Surgical staff may include neurological and craniofacial experts for more integrated and multidisciplinary care.
- We rely on the latest technology to diagnose, examine, and treat a variety of eye disorders.
Experienced, Board-Certified Team
- Our ophthalmologists are board-certified and subspecialty trained, and our technologists and support staff help make the hospital experience safe, effective, and positive for children of all ages.
The Latest in Pediatric Vision Research and Development
- Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI) conducts ongoing research into a broad spectrum of ocular diseases. We're also participants in the phase I clinical trial of enzyme replacement therapy for mucopolysaccharidosis type VI.