Pediatric nephrologists at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland diagnose and treat all forms of kidney problems. We provide consultation and treatment for children with urinary tract and kidney disease, including nephritis, nephrosis, complex renal disorders, hypertension, electrolyte disorders, disorders of calcium and phosphorus metabolism, urinary tract infection, kidney stone disease and nutrition and growth disorders related to kidney disease. We also diagnose and manage patients with acute kidney failure. We offer one of the largest pediatric nephrology departments in Northern California, equipped to care for babies and children who require minimally invasive procedures as well as more complex dialysis services and transplant services.
Why Families Choose Us
Our program is ranked among the top 10 pediatric nephrology programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
Complete Pediatric Renal Healthcare Services in the Bay Area
- A multidisciplinary team of nephrologists, urologists, transplant surgeons, nurses, nutritionists and medical social workers provide care for the following conditions:
- Chronic kidney disease
- Urinary tract infections
- Genetic malformations of the kidney
- Bone and mineral metabolic disorders
- Kidney failure, including dialysis and transplantation
- We offer initial evaluations and follow-up support for all pediatric patients with renal disorders, including glomerular diseases, renal insufficiency, and renal tubular dysfunction.
- Our team of board-certified pediatric specialists is also trained to recognize and treat hypertension. 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is available when needed.
Complex and Basic Treatments for All Types of Renal Disorders
- Complex renal care includes continuous veno-venous hemofiltration (CVVH) to provide renal replacement therapy for patients with acute renal failure, peritoneal dialysis (to clean the blood without removing it), and renal biopsies.
- Our specialists also treat such non-acute disorders as urinary tract infections, hematuria, hypertension, and nephrosis.
Ongoing Nephrology/Urology Support
- Our nephrology experts routinely work with specialists in the Urology Department to ensure that your child receives comprehensive and coordinated care.
- The joint Nephrology/Urology Clinic provides optimal care for children with a variety of urologic malformations, including vesicoureteral reflux, dysfunctional voiding, prune belly syndrome, cloaca, posterior urethral valve, and neurogenic bladder.
Transplantation Services and Referrals
- Children with severe renal insufficiency may be referred to the kidney transplant program at our partner, UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital San Francisco - one of the oldest and most experienced kidney transplant programs in the United States.
- Following a renal transplant, many of our pediatric patients return for recovery and long-term care.