Comprehensive Hearing & Speech Services for Children
Hearing plays a vital role in the acquisition of speech and language and communication is an integral part of your child’s growth and development.
- Speech and language services for infants and children with hearing loss and speech and language delay
- Speech therapy for articulation, language, phonological, resonance, stuttering and voice disorders.
- Therapy, auditory training, and aural habilitation/rehabilitation
- Comprehensive newborn hearing screening
- Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) evaluations and auditory training
- Sedated and non-sedated auditory brainstem response (ABR) evaluation
- Audiologic behavioral assessments
- Hearing aid evaluation and follow-up
- Cochlear implant evaluation and follow-up mapping and management
- Family counseling following diagnosis
licensed pediatric audiologists and speech-language pathologists work
closely with families, referring pediatricians, ENT physicians, and
Cochlear Implant Program
Specialists from Children’s Hospital Oakland collaborate as a team to
evaluate when a cochlear implant is right for your child. Children’s
cochlear implant team includes pediatric surgeons, audiologists,
speech-language pathologists, psychologists, an educator/outreach
liaison, and team coordinator—all specialitsts with advanced training in
pediatrics. Because Children's Hospital Oakland has many pediatric specialties in one location, we can offer team of experts from several areas of medicine working together to provide the highest quality care.
Children's Cochlear Implant Program has been one of the leading pediatric audiology services in Northern California since 1991.
When evaluating a child’s potential with, and candidacy for a cochlear
implant, many factors are taken into consideration including medical
status, current language level, language potential, school program, and
family involvement. Our cochlear implant team then works closely with
each implanted child's family and educational-support team to achieve
the maximum communication potential for that child.
Find out: How Cochlear Implants Work
Read Naveen's Story: How Cochlear Implant Made a Difference