747 52nd Street
Oakland, CA 94609
Why Families Choose Us
Accessible Lab Facilities Designed for Families
- Our Hemoglobinopathy Lab provides a wide range of inpatient and outpatient laboratory tests for children from birth through adolescence.
- All of our staff phlebotomists are experts in drawing blood and collecting samples from infants and children using microtechniques that minimize the amount of blood drawn while making your child as comfortable as possible.
For information about laboratory services and to order tests, go to: www.RBClab.com
Hemoglobinopathy Services on a National Level
- In addition to serving our own patients, the Hemoglobinopathy Lab at Children’s Hospital Oakland is a national resource in the diagnosis of clinically-relevant hemoglobinopathies.
- Since the lab's inception in 1973, we've screened thousands of newborns for sickling disorders, beta thalassemia, and HbH. The laboratory supports newborn screening programs in 33 states by working up samples that require additional diagnostic testing.
Childrens Hospital's Hemoglobinopathy Reference Laboratory and the Red Cell Research Laboratory provide comprehensive services in red blood cell research and clinical diagnostics. Both the Hemoglobinopathy Reference and Red Cell Research Laboratory are resources for the Sickle Cell and Thalassemia Center at Children's Hospital and Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI).
Hemoglobin Research and Technology
- In tandem with researchers at Roche Molecular Diagnostics, Inc., we've helped develop tools that are used worldwide to detect more than 95 percent of the most common beta-thalassemia mutations.
- In addition to laboratory analysis, our facilities provide support for the design and execution of studies involving sample collection, shipment, and storage, as well as the design of database support for sample analysis and storage.
Nationally-Recognized Pediatric Lab Facilities
- The Children's Hemoglobinopathy Reference Laboratory is a vital component of California’s comprehensive Newborn Screening Follow-up Program as well as a regular lab resource for the National Marrow Donor Program and numerous other cord blood banks.
- Our clinical and diagnostic support laboratory is certified by both the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA), and is considered one of California's top options for blood screening.