100% of what we do is for the kids.
For nearly 100 years, UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland has been delivering exceptional medical care to children from all regions of California. Parents choose Children's because we have the best trained and most experienced specialists and because of the genuine passion with which we treat every child.
You can expect a better outcome when your treatment team includes sub-specialty, fellowship-trained physicians covering over 30 pediatric specialties. We care for tens of thousands of children each year. This means more experience, which means quality care and better outcomes.
Shared care from a comprehensive team of highly trained board-certified pediatric specialists, nurses, technicians and therapists is vital to ensure the right treatment from the start. This is the work we dedicate our lives to.
Our doctors know that children can't be treated as small adults. All our equipment is kid-sized and we know the protocols that work best for children. They benefit from lower doses of radiation and anesthesia administered by pediatric specialists who stay abreast of the most innovative treatments.
Our trauma center Oakland is an ACS verified Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center (one of only five in California) and is dedicated exclusively to caring for children. We are one of a few hospitals with the specialized staff and facilities able to treat rare illnesses and health problems in children.
- U.S. News & World Report Ranks UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals among the nation’s "Best Hospitals".
- Children's has 30+ pediatric sub-specialties from neurosurgery to sports medicine to urology.
- Children's emergency room sees more kids each year than do the emergency rooms of both local children's hospitals combined.
- Over 75% of the East Bay pediatricians on the "Best Doctors in America" list work at Children's Hospital Oakland.
- Children's has a 99% retention rate among nurses and
- Children's Hospital Oakland is an ACS verified Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center (one of only five in California) and is dedicated exclusively to caring for children.
- The Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute is one of the top 10 NIH funded pediatric research centers in the country. Medical research that is changing how we treat and cure childhood diseases is happening right here.
Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute
In addition to treating more kids than any pediatric hospital in the Bay Area, Children's research center has over 300 scientists working on 150 clinical trials. Since our research center and hospital are in the same place, up-to-the-minute insights, trends and data go directly from the lab to the hospital, and vice versa. For instance, Children's Hospital Oakland developed what are now the worldwide protocols for treating sickle cell anemia and cerebral palsy. More>
Children's is a nationally recognized teaching hospital. We provide accredited residency education in general pediatrics and fellowship education to pediatricians seeking subspecialty training. Children's plays a major role in providing pediatric education to the over 300 medical students a year. As a teaching facility we receive over 600 applicants a year for only 20 medical internships–so we are able to pick only the best. More>
Committed to All Children's Health
In 2012 we delivered 139.3 million dollars of charity care and community benefits, and want to continue delivering this kind of care in the future. Because full-service hospitals just for children are extremely specialized, few communities can support one. We need your support to ensure that kids get the care they need, and that life-saving research can continue. Your donations enable us to provide essential services to the children and families of Northern California and beyond.
Our mission is to protect and advance the health and well-being of children through clinical care, teaching and research.
It's our vision to be a leader in children’s health, achieved through:
- High quality, cost-effective, family centered care
- Research that benefits children and adults worldwide
- Broad based teaching and educational activities
- Child advocacy and health policy efforts
Our values describe how we behave and what we stand for as we move forward to fulfill our mission. Children’s values are as follows:
RESPECT: We treat those whom we serve and those who work with us with courtesy and respect.
INTEGRITY: We act with integrity and ethical standards.
QUALITY: We provide quality care by doing the best for each patient and their family.
TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively to continuously improve patient outcomes and the satisfaction of our patients and families.
DIVERSITY: We support and sustain a community that is inclusive, diverse, and equitable.
STEWARDSHIP: We commit to being good stewards of the community and children we serve.